Cisco Systems have been widely known for its networking hardware. Even the best site blockers and DNS Server is owned by Cisco Systems. They have been working in the domain security, energy management and for the Internet of Things which is the upcoming future. Networking happens to be the core of any organization and the networking people need to trace out the faults which might occur while laying a network which can even become worse when the whole network is laid out and you are tracing for a missing packet which is not reaching its destination. As Cisco is a networking-oriented company they had to deal with such issues for their clients and even in their Research and Development wing hence they developed a software named Cisco Packet Tracer.
The Cisco packet tracer is the best packet tracer in the market which is known for the work which it does which do resembles its name i.e. tracing the path of the packets. Talking about the software it is basically a visual simulation tool which is used by network engineers to create network topologies and stimulate the computer networks to verify if they are working or not.
Packet tracer not only helps while dealing with the real-life situation but Cisco Packet tracer is the best way to learn networking and almost all the colleges use Cisco packet tracer to teach networking to the students. Cisco packet tracer is the only packet tracer which is available for a really wide platform, the packet tracer is available not only for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS but is also available for mobile platforms such as iOS and Android which makes working easy when you have to work on the go.
Cisco packet tracer stimulates the Application layer protocol and all the basic routing which includes RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP and even the new CCNA curriculum. Cisco packet tracer hence includes all the different types of protocols available to diagnose while you are working on a real-life situation which makes it easy for you to find out the error and get a fast solution for any kind of problem.
Cisco packet tracer is a light software and can work even on a basic computer system, still let us have a look at the recommended configuration in order to run the latest Cisco Packet Tracer 7.0:
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.0GHz or Better
- RAM: 1GB or above
- Storage: 500 MB of free disk space
- Display resolution: 1024 x 768
- Sound Card and speakers
- Internet Connectivity (Only if you need to use the Multiuser feature)
Let us now first have a look at the installing procedure of the Cisco packet tracer then we will learn more about the features and use of the Packet Tracer.
Do You Know You Can Also Use iOS Apps On Your PC?
- In order to install the Packet Tracer on your computer, you will have to download the same from an official source although you can get the setup from a third party website easily, but we do recommend you to get from the official source as it saves you from any type of virus and malware attack.
- Enroll in the Cisco Packet Tracer Academy which offers you free course on how to use the packet tracer and walks you with the functionality of the software. Click on the following link to enroll in the same.
- You will have to enter in your details and register for an account which will be the free account for the Cisco Packet Tracer Academy, without enrolling you won’t be able to download the Packet Tracer from the official sources.
- Once you register and verify your mail ID, you will be able to login to the dashboard which will enable you to go through the 8 different chapters which will enable you to go through all the available features in the program.
- You will get the link to download the Cisco packet tracer 7.0 from the resources for student area which will include the tracer for all the different types of operating system, and even QR code for downloading it on mobile. It is advised to use the free course which you get with the Cisco Packet Tracer as it will enable you to go through the latest version and all the new features added to the latest version.
Apart from the Introduction to packet Tracer course, there are even other courses available which will enable you to learn more about the tracer which is also free just like the introduction course, hence if you need you can even enroll to those courses and learn them too.
- Now let us go through the installation of the Cisco Packet Tracer for Windows Computer, currently, all the available version of the Packet Tracer is compatible with Windows 7, 8, and 10. The setup weighs around 130MB which might take a considerable amount of time to install.
- Double click on the downloaded exe file.
- Now accept the terms and conditions before proceeding to the next step, also keep in mind to read the same before you click on I Accept.
- Select the installation directory as per space and your liking.
- Click on the install button and wait for the installation to finish.
- Once the installation is finished you will be asked if you need to get an icon on the desktop or not, you can always untick if you don’t want your desktop to be cluttered with icons.
Once you click on finish the Cisco Packet Tracer is installed.
- Once the installation is finished you can double click on the Packet Tracer Icon on the desktop or in the Start Menu to run the software.
- On the first launch, you will be asked to enter the account credentials which you created in the first step. Although you can skip this part and simply proceed with the workflow by clicking on the guest mode.
If you log in to the account in Step 8 it will be easy for you to switch your PCs while working and you can even work with your cell phone when you have an electricity failure. Although if you require working with your co-workers then Cisco Packet Tracer require you to login compulsorily.
Now let us look at the features of the Cisco Packet Tracer.
- Cisco packet tracer provides the instructors to use the multiuser environment to teach the complex technical concepts easily by stimulating it in the program.
- The network simulations and visualizations are realistic which means it will stimulate all the different protocols through which the packets in real life have to go through hence will send out error when there is an issue of missing packets which can be tedious to look when in real life situation.
- The software provides real-time update to the network logic and activities which makes it the fastest packet tracing software available in the market.
- Supports all the major protocol.
- New networking devices are added daily which means you can learn and test the networks with the latest device, hence you will not have to test any of the device with the legacy setting.
With the latest build of the Cisco Packet Tracer the latest network features and protocol are added which are as follow:
- Precision Time protocol
- Resilent Ethernet Protocol
- Improved PoE Support
- IoT switch protocol Support.
Cisco packet tracer is updated with the IoT protocols and even have support for all different kind of IoT devices which makes the packet tracer capable of testing with the latest devices which are currently in the market which will help in the developer of the devices and even the people who are implementing these things in the new buildings and places which are having implementation of Internet of Things.
Cisco Packet Tracer application does require you to have the Cisco Networking Academy login for using the program without any instructions but you can still use the Software with the guest mode which will limit the amount of networks you can make.
Packet tracer is the best way to learn and implement the networks before laying them in the building or an office or an educational institute. If you use Cisco’s Packet Tracer for your daily work and learning purpose do let us know your experience with the Packet tracer in the comment section below. Also, let us know if we missed out on anything about the Cisco Packet Tracer.